Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 16-20 fresh anchovies, gutted but with heads and tails on
- Fine kosher salt
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Zest of 2 Lemons
- 16-20 smashed garlic cloves (1 for each fish)
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped fine
- 16-20 preserved grape leaves (1 for each fish)
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- Olive oil
Sprinkle all the anchovies with the salt, inside and out, then squeeze a little lemon juice on each. Set aside.
Boil a kettle of water and dip each grape leaf into it for a few seconds, then lay them out on paper towels.
Assemble the fish:
- Mix the parsley and the lemon zest in a bowl.
- Place a smashed garlic clove in the cavity of each fish, then nestle some of the lemon zest-parsley mixture inside.
- Wrap each fish in a grape leaf, then paint with olive oil and set on a tray with the seam facing down.
Grill over a medium fire for 2-3 minutes per side for anchovies, up to 5 minutes a side for large sardines or small herrings. Serve at once with cracked pepper and lemon wedges.