Depending on the brand you use, you may have to cut the clams into smaller pieces. Make sure you add the juice from the clams to the sauce as well (it adds extra clam flavor to the dip.)
If you have any leftovers, this dip is also a terrific sauce for pasta. And it would probably be the starting point for a very memorable baked macaroni and cheese.
(View the Full Size Photo of Spicy Clam and Mushroom Cheddar Dip Recipe)
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 6 cups
- 2 Tbsp light olive oil
- 12 oz white mushrooms, chopped
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 3/4 cup sherry (or sweet white wine, such as Moscat)
- 2 cans (6.5 oz each) chopped clams, undrained
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 cans (15 oz each) concentrated cheddar cheese sauce (such as Rico brand)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (or more to taste)
- 1 Tbsp Old Bay seasoning or equivalent
Turn heat to medium-low. Add the remaining ingredients (Note: Add the clams and their juice. Also, do not add any additional water to the cheese sauce.) Mix thoroughly and heat through. Don't overheat or the sour cream may separate.
Serve hot or at room temp with crackers, toast rounds, and pre-cut vegetables, either raw or lightly blanched.
Makes 6 cups of Spicy Clam and Mushroom Cheddar Dip.