You can use any type of green or black olives you like (or omit them if you don't), but be sure to use ripe tomatoes, excellent olive oil, and small, fresh basil leaves for the best possible flavor.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 appetizer or 2 entree servings
- 2 cups cooked mussel meats (see Cook's Notes)
- 4 Roma (aka Plum) tomatoes
- 1 medium green pepper, cut in 1/4 inch dice (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup pitted green or black olives, crushed
- 2 Tbsps fresh small basil leaves
- 3 Tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp white wine or champagne vinegar
- 1/2 tsp finely chopped fresh garlic
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, garlic, salt, and black pepper. Pour the dressing over the salad and mix gently.
Refrigerate for 15-20 minutes to chill, if desired, or serve immediately. You can serve the salad as-is, or over baby romaine lettuce leaves.
Makes 4 appetizer or 2 entree servings of Easy Italian Mussel Salad with Tomato and Basil
- You can use frozen, pre-cooked mussel meats in this recipe, or you can quickly pre-cook your own in the microwave and cool them. It takes about 2 pounds of mussels to produce 2 cups of cooked mussel meats