Beyond the Basics - Advanced Techniques and Special Recipes
From Doug DuCap, former About.com Guide
Techniques and Tips
Filleting a fish is a pretty basic skill. But butterflying one is not. Here's where I offer tips on some of the skills that separate seafood cooks from those who just cook seafood once and a while.
- How to Split or Butterfly a Fish
- How to Prep Octopus for Further Cooking
- Fats, Oils and Fish and Seafood
Special Occasion Recipes
These recipes are neither quick nor easy. Well, some are, but most involve either hard-to-find ingredients or employ techniques that I wouldn't want to do on a week night. Think of this as the "weekend cooking" section.
- Oyster Veloute, a Smooth Oyster Chowder
- A Refined Parsley Sauce
- Spanish Poached Lobster with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
- Mark's Pasta & Lobster Sauce