The ingredients of the spice mix -- coriander, dill seed, garlic, crushed red pepper, lemon-- are flavors that are also quite friendly to fish and seafood. The commercial blends for steak, however, contain far too much salt for fish.
Here, your own homemade 'Kansas City Fish Seasoning' blend (with much less salt) is applied to buttered cod for a sensational flavor experience. Note: This recipe will provide you with extra seasoning mix to use next time you make this dish. You can also use this blend on tilapia, catfish, mahi mahi, snapper, or halibut.
(View the Full Size Photo of Broiled Kansas City Cod)
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 2 servings
- For the Kansas City Fish Seasoning:
- 2 Tbsps coriander seeds (leave whole or crush lightly)
- 2 Tbsps dill seeds
- 1 Tbsp dried red pepper flakes
- 2 tsps dried minced garlic (or 1 1/2 tsps granulated garlic)
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt or Kosher salt
- 1 tsp coarse ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 lemon
- For the Broiled Cod:
- 2 Tbsps butter, softened
- 2 tsps finely chopped parsley
- 1 lb boneless, skinless cod fillets
- Fresh lemon juice
Using a vegetable peeler, remove just the yellow part of the peel (the zest) in long strips (reserve the lemon for the recipe or another use.) Twist and squeeze the strips of lemon zest over the spices to release the lemon oils.
Place the spices and the peels in a reclosable bag and shake well for half a minute. Scrape any spices off the peels and discard the peels. (See Cook's Note)
For the Broiled Cod: Set broiler to Low (or place rack in lower slot.) Mix together the butter and parsley.
Dry the fillets well and brush the butter mixture on both sides. Place the fillets on a broiling pan and sprinkle the tops with 2 tablespoons (more or less) of the spice mixture.
Broil fillets for 8-10 minutes per inch of thickness (measured at the thickest point) or until fish flakes readily. Sprinkle with fresh lemon juice and serve.
Makes 2 servings of Broiled Kansas City CodCook's Note:
- To store the Spice Mix: After removing the peels, spread the spices out on a plate to dry for 30 minutes. Store in an airtight jar.