An amber or 'red' beer is best for this recipe; it gives a depth of flavor without being too assertive.
Rock crab claws are becoming more available in markets. Similar to blue crabs, US-produced rock crabs are sustainably harvested and have a nice sweet crab flavor. You can use this recipe for any type of crab, though.
If they aren't already, make sure to lightly crack each leg or claw before steaming so the flavor can get inside.
This recipe is good for up to 3 pounds of crab. Double or triple the recipe if making more.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 3-4 appetizers
- 1 bottle amber beer (preferably flat)
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp seafood seasoning (such as Old Bay)
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2-3 pounds crab claws, crab legs, or whole crabs
Makes 3-4 appetizer servings of Sweet and Spicy Beer Steamed Rock Crab.