Seasoning Mix is found in the frozen vegetables section of the supermarket. It comes in bags and usually contains chopped onion, celery, green and red bell peppers, and parsley. It can be a handy timesaver in the kitchen when making soups, casseroles, pasta dishes, etc.
You can substitute crab meat for all or part of the shrimp in this recipe for an equally delightful seafood meal.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 Tbsp light olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 bag (12 oz) frozen 'Seasoning Mix' vegetables
- 1 cup long grain rice, well rinsed
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/8 - 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 lb uncooked, peeled shrimp (any size from Medium to Jumbo)
- 1/2 cup drained, crushed pineapple
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
Stir in the rice, coconut, spices, and water, and bring to a simmer.
Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook 12 minutes.
Stir in the shrimp. Cover and cook 5 more minutes or until shrimp are pink and rice is tender.
Stir in the pineapple and lime juice. Heat through and serve.
Makes 4 servings of Calypso Shrimp and Rice.